Thursday, March 25, 2010

favorite writer

People always talk about their favorite writer(s). I've never had one. Sometimes I say Shakespeare, but maybe it is just an effort to make me seem smarter. I have never finished all his plays and, frankly, I am not a big fan of his writing style. (I do like his stories and use of words, but his sentences make me want to kill myself.)

Recently, as I strive to improve my writing skills, I began to read about writings. After reading several of his works, I would say my favorite writer is Bryan A. Garner, the editor-in-chief of Black's Law Dictionary. His writings are not only clear and logical, but they also contain a lot of wry wits and humorous comments. It is unusual for people to enjoy technical books, but his books are fun to read.


Here is one piece by him,

       "Why are you going to a used-book store?" the cab driver asked. We were on our way to my favorite bookstore in Sacramento.
       "I'm a book collector," I responded.
       "What do you collect?"
       "Law Dictionaries."
       "Me too!" I was surprised, and I didn't really believed him. But he continued, "I like Bouvier's law dictionary." I began to believe him: few people know the legal lexicographer John Bouvier.
       "Why do you collect law dictionaries?" I asked.
       "Because I'm fascinated by law. The real law. The original law. We've gotten away from that. Most of the law today is bogus. So you have to go to get the real law. Law dictionaries today are no good. Black's Law Dictionary, for example. The editors have been bought off. There's a conspiracy to get people to think that the Internal Revenue Code is valid, when in fact it's unconstitutional. The government has paid off the editors of Black's to support the idea that there's a legal basis for the IRS. That's a documented fact."
       "Really?" I was incredulous.
       "Whoever is responsible for Black's Law Dictionary should be shot. If I could find the editor, I'd do it myself."
       Just then, we arrived at Beer's Books, down the street from California's capitol. I paid and started getting out the cab. 
       "Why do you collect law dictionaries?" the cabbie asked as I was getting out.
       "Just a hobby."


This passage is in the Introduction (page xxi) of Garner on Language and Writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment